Liverpool FC Women vs. Manchester United, Leicester

As the men’s team were off this weekend for their international break, we were lucky to get two games this week from the Liverpool FC Women’s team.  On Wednesday 7 October the ladies played Manchester United for the FA Women’s League Cup group round game. They also took on Leicester City on Sunday 11 October.  Here’s what happened:

vs Manchester United

Wednesday evening the ladies headed to Prenton Park to take on the other ladies in red.  The Manchester United women have been all over the headlines lately, as they recently acquired Christen Press and Tobin Heath, who are huge assets for the United States National Team.  Liverpool welcomed Canadian international Rylee Foster to the pitch for her debut game, playing in goal.

The game started quick and there were several missed chances. After thirty minutes of back-and-forth, United managed to put one in the back of the net in the 28th minute. Abby McManus gave United the lead in controversial fashion, heading past Foster from what appeared to be an offside position. Five minutes later, United were guilty of a handball in the box, as Rachel Furness womn and converted a penalty. Liverpool headed into the locker room level at 1-1.

The second half started and it could have been anyone’s game.  Twenty-five minutes into the second half United committed another penalty inside the box, won by Jess Clarke. The substitute Rinsola Babajide converted this one to make it a 2-1 game in the 72nd minute.  When it looked like a couldn’t get any better, Rachel Furness decided she needed to contribute to the score line again.  Following a corner, substitute Missy Bo Kearns delivered a cross to Furness, who lost her marker and put a header in the back on the net in the 82nd minute.  The Liverpool FC Women saw the game out to earn three valuable points in FA Women’s League Cup Group C.

vs Leicester

Four days later, Liverpool took on Leicester City in a FA Women’s Championship League match. The Reds have been outstanding in this competition, winning all their games thus far – and scoring a lot of goals.  In this match, the lady Reds played hard, but were unfortunately unable to get the outcome they were looking for.

Leicester City open the scoring midway through the first half, when Paige Bailey-Gayle put a high curled effort beyond keeper Rachael Laws.  The Reds could have leveled several times before the half, with missed chances coming from Hends, Thestrup and Linnett.

The second half did not start off great for the Reds. 10 minutes after the restart, Leicester City’s Lachate Paul scored to make it 2-0. Liverpool responded quickly and finally put one in the net to halve the lead. From a free kick on the right flank, Lawley sent the ball into the box.  The kick caused some confusion for the Leicester defense, and with the Foxes’ keeper unable to claim the ball Jess Clarke was able to finish the chance.  There was plenty of time left for the Reds to get a leveler, with Rachel Furness trying time and time again to get one in the net.  It was a well-fought match, but unfortunately the game ended 2-1 in Leicester’s favor, handing the Liverpool ladies their first league defeat of the season.

Next Up

You can catch the ladies play again on Sunday 1 November against Lewes at The Dripping Plan Stadium. They also play Wednesday 4 November against Manchester City at Prenton Park for their second game of the FA Women’s League Cup group stage.